Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Making a Dress Form

Recently, I had abdominal surgery that, I'm happy to say, has changed my hips and lower abdomen (call it a tummy tuck of sorts). Along with the absence of pain from a C-section scar, I now have a closet full of clothes that also need a nip and a tuck to fit my new shape.
After searching the web for dress forms, I found some in the hundreds of dollars. But I kept seeing hand made forms over and over again. Youtube came in really handy for this. I watched some of the funniest videos, but learned a lot. Duct tape is so useful.
The End Product: ( I lovingly call her, the Other Mother)
Wearing the robe I made for pre-op.
The Process:
Wear a shirt you don't mind losing. Wear comfortable clothes, this took about 2 hours.
Have someone wrap you like Conan the Barbarian, in this case, my daughter texted her friends: "I get to duct tape my mom lol :). Do a thick section around your hips, this is your bottom of your form. A few times under your breasts and in between to keep as true to form as possible.

Ugh, keep going. My daughter made me cover my breasts. She thought it was just gross. Continue with the body and start on the arms.
Finish with the neckline. I wore a V neck shift so I taped onto my skin (not recommended). I had my daughter take a neck piece of folded in half tape (to not be sticky) and wrap it around my neck, then tape up to the piece. If you are claustrophobic, save this step for finishing.  When done, cut directly up the back and wiggle out.
Begin stuffing with plastic grocery bags. It takes a lot, I had been saving them for about 6 months and just had enough). Start with the arms, tape the holes once bags are in to help keep form. Continue stuffing to the form, and taping where needed. Once half way stuffed, insert a stick. This stick wasn't my final holder, but it kept the hole open for the final product.
Almost done! I used PVC piping to create the base and stand. Then wrapped tape everywhere. You could paint it too, but I went crazy with the tape. I used decorative butterfly duck tape to cover the rest, pictured is one roll. I need to run to the store for more.
Final Cost:
2 rolls of siver duct tape - $6
2 rolls decor tape- $5
PVC pipe and fittings -$6
Total = $17 - not bad!!!

This had to be the funniest project to date. My daughters and I were laughing, while my 5 year old was taking pictures. Now, a closet full of alterations await. And a bunch on thrift store refashions!

Happy ... tape/wrap/stuffing !!!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, kimcerna. It was a lot of fun too.

      Delete
  2. This is such a cool idea... I have been wanting a form but had know idea how you could make one.. Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen these before, but honestly this is the simplest of all tutorials I have seen. I am in. My daughter and I need a good laugh together and some girl time. Yayy, here it comes. Can't wait.. Thank you. Glad you are feeling better too! Have fun slimming down your clothes!!!!! :)
    ~Louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so neat. I have no daughters but I know my 32 year old son would have a riot helping me with this. I will let you know how it goes.
    I have always wanted a dress form but I was in a fabric store on Saturday and they wanted $400 so I figured I was out of luck. I had never considered making my own.
    Thank you so much for posting this amusing but very helpful tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your tutorial very much! My teenage DD is not too happy with me these days and I'm really thinking she'd take the whole duct taping mom thing way too far, lol. Maybe I can find someone else who would help me, but either way, I'll be making one for myself. Thanks for posting your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy, Loved your tut. I did this some years ago. I wish I had it. I need to do another one.(I have gained weight) Your tutorial is better than the one I followed. Thanks. My sister helped me and we just about died laughing. Wait till she finds out I want to do it again! Looking forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete